Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Green Groceries or Greenwashing? Tropicana's Rescue the Rainforest Program

Yesterday I was enjoying a nice healthy breakfast with my lovely wife when she poured a glass of orange juice. That is when what I am about to tell you occured to me. High pulp let's us get extra oranginess and buying Tropicana, apparenetly let's us
"Rescue the Rainforest".

Now for you die-hards, the notion will be laughable at best. You may be thinking that a large company like Tropicana is inheriently the problem, well relax. That's not today's discussion. 

My point today is Tropicana offers a Rescue the Rainforest program whereby purchasers are (ideally) able to go to the Tropicana website and motivate them to save 100 sq feet of rainforest by providing a carton code.

Not unheard of, not groundbreaking, but hopefully honest; right? Well, the problem is when I go to the
web address what I get is a message that says, "Please bear with us while we get up and running...check back in mid January."

Coolearth (the marketing company?) and Tropicana have just a few more days until the calendar passes the mid January mark. Once this happens, I'll be looking, and I'll report what I find back here.


PS: the promotion code on the Tropicana carton is apparently the UPC code - that's the standard. Yet, the code isn't identified as UPC, nor is it explained -at all- where to find the code - which code it is - how long or other identifiers about the code, none of that is made clear. So, come on folks let's do this right.


No comments: